The Center for Excellence in Teaching (CET) announces the CET Future Faculty Teaching Institute, a semester-long training program that prepares graduate students, planning to pursue academic careers, with an essential background in pedagogy. Students should be enrolled in doctoral or other terminal degree programs and have some TA or teaching experience. Participants who complete the entire program (a minimum of 12 workshops) will be awarded a teaching excellence certificate and can indicate completion of the institute on their CVs. Schools should encourage their graduate students to sign up.
The CET Future Faculty Teaching Institute comprises a series of 14 hands-on, catered lunch workshops throughout the Fall 2018 semester.
The workshops are designed to provide future faculty:
- Best practices for higher ed course design
- Essential pedagogy for teaching and learning
- Strategies for developing an inclusive learning environment
- Practical techniques to enhance student learning
- Opportunities for collaborative peer review
A sampling of specific workshop topics include:
- Facilitating challenging discussions
- Incorporating strategic questioning
- Enhancing student-instructor and student-student interaction
- Designing for multimedia instruction
- Creating effective assessment practices
Gifts will be raffled off for each session.
Participants may elect to attend either the Monday (12:00-1:00) or Tuesday (12:30-1:30) cohort on the UPC campus (room TBA).
For a list of Monday and Tuesday cohort session meeting dates, and to register for the CET Future Faculty Teaching Institute, visit http://cet.usc.edu/institutes/future-faculty-teaching-institute/
Published on August 10th, 2018
Last updated on August 10th, 2018