Career Success Navigator
To better serve our Graduate Alumni population, the Career Success Navigator provides a clear step by step process to help Alumni find job opportunities and further develop their career and professional growth. The following process will provide you the tools to prepare, connect and succeed with locating employment opportunities related to your career goals. If you are a current graduate student, please download the iOS App or visit the web version here. Please do not use this version as it was designed for Graduate Alumni Only.
- Download the CSN Preparation Checklist
- If you are a current PhD student or PhD Alumni or Post Doctoral student, you are automatically eligible to come to Drop-in and schedule an appointment on Viterbi Career Gateway.
- If you are a current graduate student on-campus or DEN, please download the iOS app or use the web version for all other phones and desktops
- Completing this process will provide you access to Viterbi Career Gateway to schedule an appointment.
- Alumni are able to request phone, virtual, or in-person appointments.
CSN Preparation Checklist
After the completion of the CSN Preparation Checklist, the majority of Graduate Alumni will have a quality resume created, most of their questions answered, and fully prepared to apply for internship and job opportunities. If you still have questions after completing the CSN Preparation Checklist, you can request access to scheduling online appointments.
Each student will need to complete all of the following sections and submit their checklist before obtaining access to appointments.
Step #1 Watch Career Success Videos
This module will provide you a basic understanding of how to structure your resume and draft or edit your current resume.
A simple tutorial to help you navigate Viterbi Career Gateway, a powerful job & internship search tool available ONLY to Viterbi students.
Step # 2 Create/Edit Your Resume
Self-critique your resume to edit and approve your overall content and format
Review each item in the check-boxes, and update your resume accordingly
Draft and review your cover letter to identify why you are a qualified candidate for their company
Cover Letter Checklist
Review each item in the check-boxes, and update your cover letter accordingly
Take a look at the following samples to decide the appropriate look and format for your resume
Review Sample Resumes
Remember these are just samples, please do not copy everything word for word.
Step #3 Obtain a Virtual Resume Review
CLICK ON “LOGIN USING YOUR USC NETID”
ENTER YOUR USC USERNAME AND PASSWORD (THE SAME YOU USE FOR BLACKBOARD)
UPLOAD YOUR RESUME AND MAKE EDITS BASED ON FEEDBACK UNTIL YOU REACH A SCORE OF 80% OR HIGHER.
All Alumni are REQUIRED to bring PRINTED copies of the following if they are meeting their career advisor in-person:
- Resume &/or Cover Letter tailored to a specific job description & copy of the job posting (yes you need to bring a cover letter, even if the jobs you are applying to are not asking for them)
- Resume and Cover Letter Checklist with all boxes completed
- A screenshot or any other visual to show your VMock score is above 80% with your name in it
We cannot print any of these documents in the Career Connections Office
Do you still have specific questions?
- Complete all instructions above, and submit your documents to email@example.com . Once our office reviews your documents, we will then update your account to schedule appointments on Viterbi Career Gateway.
- Obtain writing and grammatical assistance from the Writing Center to review your Resume and Cover Letter in Taper Hall 216 https://dornsife.usc.edu/writingcenter/
CAREER FAIRS OFF-CAMPUS
YOUNG PROFESSIONALS GROUP
RESEARCH FAIRS & SYMPOSIUMS
VIRTUAL CAREER FAIRS
COMPANY HOSTED EVENTS
COMPANY SITE TOURS
VIRTUAL INFO SESSIONS
We encourage all Alumni to engage both on campus for Alumni events and office campus networking opportunities to enhance your professional contacts and career development. Please make sure you check your top companies' website to see what events they are offering directly.
Wed, Apr 21, 2021
12:00 PM - 1:30 PM
Speaker: Drs. Assad Oberai, Ellis Meng, Lucio Soibelman, and Richard Leahy, USC Viterbi Talk Title: Academic Jobs During and Post COVID-19 Abstract: Join our panel of faculty experts to learn effective strategies for searching for an...
Mon, May 03, 2021
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
NACE Internship Survey
The Class of 2016 Internship and Co-Op Survey Executive Summary
NACE Student Survey
The Class of 2016 Student Survey Report: Executive Summary
NACE Salary Survey
Winter 2017 Executive Report with annual salary projections for Class of 2017 college graduates.
First Destination Survey
2016 Viterbi Graduates completed the first destination survey to report where they headed post-graduation.