The DEN Petition is used to request registration for the DEN@Viterbi section of a course.
- Registration in a DEN section is not guaranteed. Students admitted to DEN@Viterbi have priority in registering for DEN sections.
- DEN Petition approval does not change your student status from on-campus to DEN@Viterbi.
Review DEN eligibility before submitting a DEN petition:
DEN Petition Eligibility
Domestic On-Campus Viterbi Undergraduate and Graduate students who cannot attend a course in person.
Non-Viterbi students need approval from the appropriate Viterbi academic department offering the course and their home department advisor. Students must upload an email confirmation of the approval to the DEN petition (PDF format).
Not Eligible for DEN Petition
1. If the on-campus section of a course is full or closed, students cannot submit a request to register for the DEN@viterbi section. If it is a student’s final semester and the course is required, please work with your academic advisor to discuss course options.
2. If you encounter a course time conflict:
3. F-1 International students who must follow U.S. government immigration regulations to maintain their international student status, which includes on-campus course registration requirements. More information can be found on the OIS website.
- Students requesting DEN Petitions must indicate where they will be located during the semester. This location is where your online educational activities will take place.
- Prior to enrolling in classes, DEN@Viterbi (online) students in the United States need to confirm that their academic program is authorized by their state for online delivery.
- USC must be authorized to deliver online programs to students residing in certain states that requires state authorization. Prior to enrolling in classes, DEN@Viterbi (online) students in the United States need to confirm that their academic program is authorized by their state for online delivery. Your program may not be authorized in all states and therefore if you move, you may not be able to continue in the program.
- A list of states where your program is currently authorized is available at the State Authorizations page
- If you have any questions about a specific state or academic program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Required state disclosures, licensure statement, and state authorization complaint resolution information are available here. Paper copies of these policies and disclosures are available by request.
DEN Petition Process
After 10-12 business days, you can check the status of your DEN petition via myviterbi.
Delays in processing often caused due to:
- Incomplete DEN Petition
- DEN International Proctor Packet missing or not approved
- Courses requested not approved for degree program
- Course availability
- Registration holds
- Additional approval required
Submit DEN Petition
Once you have reviewed DEN eligibility and the petition process, submit your DEN Petition via myviterbi.
- Incomplete requests will be denied.
- Processing time is 5 business days.
- We cannot expedite the process. Delays in processing may occur.
- Please refer to the DEN Petition Process section for factors that cause delays.
DEN Petition Approval
- Priority for DEN Courses by petition is given to students who are:
- Final semester students requesting an approved course within their academic department.
- On-campus USC Viterbi students requesting an approved course within their academic department.
Technical Support, Desire2learn training, Homework
DEN Petition Inquiries
Published on April 21st, 2022
Last updated on November 20th, 2023