Active Military and Veterans
The USC Viterbi School of Engineering’s Distance Education Network [DEN@Viterbi] provides the opportunity for active duty military personnel and veterans to complete an online master’s degree or graduate certificate program from any location in the world. Over 40 master’s degrees and graduate certificates are available completely online in a variety of engineering disciplines.
The USC Viterbi School of Engineering offers an unlimited number of Yellow Ribbon awards to eligible candidates (max. of $10,000/year) which can provide funding for the majority of your graduate program.
Viterbi is rated one of the top Online Graduate Engineering Program for Veterans. Contact the VASE office for any questions and support at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
YES. USC supports students through a variety of military and veteran benefit programs. USC is committed to the 8 keys in supporting veterans as they pursue their education and employment goals:
The 8 Keys
- Create a culture of trust and connectedness across the campus community to promote well-being and success for veterans.
- Ensure consistent and sustained support from campus leadership.
- Implement an early alert system to ensure all veterans receive academic, career, and financial advice before challenges become overwhelming.
- Coordinate and centralize campus efforts for all veterans, together with the creation of a designated space for them (even if limited in size).
- Collaborate with local communities and organizations, including government agencies, to align and coordinate various services for veterans.
- Utilize a uniform set of data tools to collect and track information on veterans, including demographics, retention, and degree completion.
- Provide comprehensive professional development for faculty and staff on issues and challenges unique to veterans.
- Develop systems that ensure sustainability of effective practices for veterans.
- CHAPTER 30: Montgomery G.I. Bill for Active Duty
- CHAPTER 31: Voc Rehab
- CHAPTER 32: VEAP (Post-Vietnam Era Veterans Educational Assistance Program)
- CHAPTER 33: Post-9/11 G.I. Bill
- CHAPTER 35: Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program
- CHAPTER 1606: Montgomery G.I. Bill for Selected Reserve
- CHAPTER 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
- ROTC Benefits
To help calculate your estimated tuition costs, please use the US Department of Veteran's Affairs GI Bill Comparison Tool. Please be sure to indicate "University of Southern California" in the school information section.
For information on the current costs for USC Viterbi Master's students (residential and DEN@Viterbi) see our Tuiton and Fees page.
YES. Active military, veteran and ROTC students can be considered for both:
– Federal Need-Based Aid: Includes Federal Direct Stafford Loans, Perkins Loans, Graduate PLUS Loans and private loans.
– University Aid: Includes USC’s merit scholarships, the University Grant, and graduate assistantships and fellowships Please see the Graduate Funding page for information on scholarships and financial aid.
YES. Active duty military who meet the following criteria may be eligible for additional scholarship consideration:
- Admitted Viterbi Master's or PhD student
- Pursuing their degree program full-time as an on-campus student
- Partially supported by the military
Students who meet the above criteria should complete the Military Funding for On-campus Students Form to receive more information.
In addition, all active military, veterans and ROTC students may be considered for the following:
– Federal Need-Based Aid: Includes Federal Direct Stafford Loans, Perkins Loans, Graduate PLUS Loans and private loans
– University Aid: Includes USC’s merit scholarships, the University Grant, and graduate assistantships and fellowships
Please see the Graduate Funding page for information on scholarships and financial aid.
- You must be admitted to the University of Southern California and registered in classes.
- You must submit all documents required by the USC Office of Veterans Affairs
– For required documents: http://www.usc.edu/dept/ARR/veteransaffairs/index.html
- The Viterbi School of Engineering offers an unlimited number of Yellow Ribbon awards to eligible candidates (max. of $10,000/year).
The USC Veterans Certification Office
The USC Veterans Certification Office certifies enrollment for USC students who apply and are eligible for educational assistance administered by the Veterans Administration. The office also processes all applications and forwards enrollment certifications to regional offices of the Veterans Administration, provides assistance to students with problems that relate to the Veterans Administration educational (or covered) programs, and maintains a reference file on all VA students for up to 3 years.
> USC Veterans Certification office
The USC Veterans Resource Center
Established in 2014, the Veterans Resource Center is a collaborative effort between the Division of Student Affairs and the Office of Academic Records and Registrar and is located in the Tutor Campus Center (TCC) Suite 330.
The center serves as a one-stop campus resource for Trojan veterans, reservists, and their dependents. At USC, we support our student veterans and affiliates through providing referrals to other campus partners as well as serving as advocates for these students. The center offers opportunities to excel academically through services like a study space and computer stations.
Within the center, students can meet with a veterans certifying officer, connect with other current student veterans, learn about services available on campus, participate in a variety of programs, and enjoy a welcoming space with opportunities to lounge and/or study.
> USC Veterans Resource Center