We are seeking a professional, reliable, enthusiastic USC student intern to help identify entrepreneurial activity that is happening on and around the USC campus, especially related to healthcare and life sciences. There are hundreds of start-ups at various stages of development on campus every year. We want to find them, make contact and ultimately do what we can to support them, strategically, operationally and financially.
Who We Are
This selected candidate will work between two entities, one on campus and one off campus:
- USC’s MESH (Medicine, Engineering, Science, and Humanities) team – our mission is to increase convergence, innovation, and entrepreneurship in the life sciences (http://usc.edu/mesh)
- Wavemaker Three-Sixty Health – a healthcare venture capital firm founded by a USC Marshall MBA (class of 1998) that is based in Pasadena (www.wavemaker360.com)
Why Join Our Team?
- The intern will gain detailed exposure to a Los Angeles-based venture capital firm, Wavemaker Three-Sixty Health. This is a unique opportunity to be involved in the exciting venture world, at one of the few LA-based health-focused firms!
- The intern will gain exposure to the robust USC life and health sciences entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- We offer the best of both worlds – a chance to be exposed to an off-campus VC firm combined with helpful oversight and guidance from an on-campus office which is already plugged in to the USC entrepreneurial ecosystem.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify and track USC start-ups in healthcare and the life sciences
- Network and gain the trust of start-ups
- Identify and attend start-up showcasing events like the Student Innovator Showcase
- Assess and triage identified start-ups for the most appropriate type of support
- Communicate with founders to understand start-up needs, both broadly and for specific companies
- Liaise with entrepreneurship-related programs inside USC to consolidate knowledge of start-ups
- Aid in the organizing of marketing events
- Track and generate reports on competitors’ marketing activities
- Students may be able to get course credit for this volunteer position
- Current student at USC (graduate student – MBA, PhD, MS, etc., or undergraduate student)
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal
- Engaging, outgoing, approachable personality
- Passion for meeting new people and evangelizing
- Interest in entrepreneurship and/or investing, especially in healthcare and life sciences
- Self starter
- Ability to work approximately 5-10 hours per week (flexible hours is fine)
Sound like you? Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com and in the body of the email please answer: What interaction(s) have you had with early stage companies (start-ups or companies that haven’t been around very long), and what have you learned?
Published on August 24th, 2018
Last updated on August 24th, 2018