Domestic Student Internships
U.S Citizens and Permanent Residents who have internships and would like to register for 1 unit of credit in ENGR 596: Internship in Engineering may do so by reviewing the information provided below.
Students are encouraged to visit the Viterbi Career Connections Office for career advisement and to participate in a variety of career events and workshops offered throughout the year.
Internship Course Guidelines
- The internship must be directly related to your degree program.
- Minimum GPA requirements:
- Fall/Spring: 3.0
- Summer: 2.75
- To ensure a rewarding internship experience and earn academic credit for your internship course, internships should be:
- At least 12 weeks during Fall and Spring, 10 weeks during Summer.
- A minimum of 10 hours per week.
- A full-time faculty member in your major department must supervise you in ENGR 596. Approval through myViterbi is required.
- An offer letter must be uploaded with your request for ENGR 596 internship credit.
- Students with unpaid internships that require registration in an internship course can request registration in ENGR 596.
- Receiving an “NC” (no credit) grade in ENGR 596 will result in ineligibility for future ENGR 596 registration.
- Students who are currently employed with a company in non-internship positions are not eligible for internship credit.
- No retroactive credit will be given to internships completed in a previous term. Internship credit can only be earned in the current term.
An offer letter must be submitted to request registration in ENGR 596. The internship offer must be in writing on the company’s letterhead. It must include the following components:
- Student’s full name
- Location where the student will work – Address in the letterhead is insufficient. Work location address must be in the body of the letter.
- Job description – This is a description of what you’re doing on the job and is more than just your title.
- Hours per week to be worked – Must state the number of hours per week (e.g. “40”, “15-20”, “thirty”, etc.)
- Beginning and ending dates of the internship – The duration of the internship must be within the semester of ENGR 596 registration.
- Salary information – Although not required for internship credit approval, it is recommended to have your salary included in the offer letter.
A full-time faculty member in your major department must supervise you for ENGR 596. It is the student’s responsibility to select a professor who is available to supervise the course. Submit your request for ENGR 596 supervision through MyViterbi. Log in then select “Directed Research CPT” to submit your request.
ENGR 596 D-clearance Request
This form is only for Viterbi domestic graduate students with internships. International students, please see the Viterbi CPT website.Request D-clearance