Domestic Student Internships
U.S Citizens and Permanent Residents who have internships and would like to register for 1 unit of credit in ENGR 596: Internship in Engineering may do so by reviewing the information provided below.
Students are encouraged to visit the Viterbi Career Connections Office for career advisement and to participate in a variety of career events and workshops offered throughout the year.
Find an InternshipThe Viterbi Career Connections Office offers career-focused support to prepare you for internships, co-ops and full-time employment.
Viterbi Career GatewayYou can search for engineering internships, co-ops, and full-time jobs through Viterbi Career Gateway.
Earn Internship Course CreditYou may be eligible for 1 unit of ENGR 596 credit for your internship. This course is grades Credit/No Credit.
Degree CreditCheck with your graduate advisor if ENGR 596 can be applied towards your degree requirements.
Internship Course Guidelines
- The internship must be directly related to your degree program.
- Minimum GPA requirements:
- Fall/Spring: 3.0
- Summer: 2.75
- To ensure a rewarding internship experience and earn academic credit for your internship course, internships should be:
- At least 12 weeks during Fall and Spring, 10 weeks during Summer.
- A minimum of 10 hours per week.
- A full-time faculty member in your major department must supervise you in ENGR 596. Approval through myViterbi is required.
- An offer letter must be uploaded with your request for ENGR 596 internship credit.
- Students with unpaid internships that require registration in an internship course can request registration in ENGR 596.
- Receiving an “NC” (no credit) grade in ENGR 596 will result in ineligibility for future ENGR 596 registration.
- Students who are currently employed with a company in non-internship positions are not eligible for internship credit.
- No retroactive credit will be given to internships completed in a previous term. Internship credit can only be earned in the current term.
Published on May 7th, 2018
Last updated on June 30th, 2020