The May 11th, 2018 Commencement Ceremony is for students who complete their degree requirement in December 2017, May 2018 and August 2018.
Main Commencement Ceremony
Date: Friday, May 11th, 2018
Processional Begins: 8:30AM
Location: Alumni Memorial Park
Viterbi Master’s Ceremony 1
Viterbi Master’s Ceremony 2
Date: Friday, May 11th, 2018
Location: Galen Center
Speaker: Wanda Austin
2:00PM: Student Check-in / Doors Open for Guests
2:30PM: Processional Begins
3:00PM: Ceremony Begins
5:00PM: Ceremony Ends
Aerospace & Mechanical Engineering
Chemical Engineering & Materials Science
Civil & Environmental Engineering
Industrial & Systems Engineering
Systems Architecting and Engineering
- As is standard with events at arenas and large venues, all guests must go through a metal detector to enter the ceremony
- The following items are prohibited in the satellite ceremony venues: backpacks, balloons, fog horns, whistles and other noise makers. Graduates will not be allowed to enter the venue with these objects. All such objects will be confiscated at the door.
- Graduates cannot bring bags, flowers, balloons, etc. into the Galen Center or Shrine Auditorium. Leave them in your car or at home as they will be confiscated at the door.
- No shouting or whistling during the ceremony.
- We ask that you show support and respect for your fellow classmates by remaining for the entire ceremony.
- Wear your regalia.
- Wear comfortable shoes – you’ll be walking a lot throughout the day.
- What to bring: camera, water (or money for water), sunglasses & sunscreen for main ceremony.
- To sit with your friends at the Viterbi Master’s Commencement Ceremony, line up in front of and behind people you want to sit with.
- Viterbi MS graduates should rent/purchase a Master’s gown, black cap, and orange hood from the USC Bookstore. Do not get the yellow or goldenrod hood.
- Rentals come with a tassel for the cap that can be removed and kept as a souvenir. To speed up the rental process, it’s best to have your height and cap size ready. If you don’t know your sizes, the staff will be happy to measure you.
- For out of state graduates who are unable to come to the USC Bookstore to pick up your cap and gown rental, USC Bookstore will gladly ship your regalia to you for a $20.00 fee. You will be able to place your out of state order online through the bookstore at https://www.uscbookstore.com/traditional-regalia (scroll down to Order Form Instructions)
- Contact the USC Bookstore at (213) 740-8997 for more information.
- Caps should be worn at all times, except during the invocation, benediction, and National Anthem, when gentlemen should remove their caps. The tassel is worn over the right temple. When the President salutes the graduates, it is appropriate for the graduates to respond by tipping their caps. Graduates may then move their tassels over to the left side.
- Returning Rentals – caps, gowns and hoods should be returned to drop-off area outside bookstore immediately after your satellite ceremony. Returns after commencement day should be made inside the bookstore.
- If you would like to purchase regalia, contact the USC Bookstore at (213) 740-8998 ASAP. Regalia may be purchased throughout the year, but it takes roughly 12 weeks to manufacture.
- The deadline to purchase regalia is Monday, March 12th, 2018 in order to receive it for the 2018 Commencement. Any order placed after this date is not guaranteed to arrive in time for the 2018 Commencement.
- Prices can be found at: https://www.uscbookstore.com/traditional-regalia
- For more information regarding regalia, visit https://commencement.usc.edu/caps-and-gowns-regalia/
May 1st, 2018
2:00PM – 3:30PM
Epstein Family Plaza (EQuad)
Registration Link Coming in April
The Viterbi Office of Graduate and Professional Programs invites our Master’s and PhD graduates to join us in celebrating your achievements! The Commencement Carnival will include food, games & lots of fun!
This event is for graduates only; unfortunately guests cannot be accommodated and may not attend.
Please refer to 2018 – Student FAQ